Thursday, July 19, 2007

Summer Reading, Summer Learning

I have purchased 2 books so that I can better teach my students how to write. Now, I have felt quite comfortable teaching students to write narratives, or personal journals. However, I have not felt very confident about teaching students how to write reports or "factual Writing".

Is that A Fact? Teaching Nonfiction Writing K-3 focuses on helping students locate information, interpreting the information, recording (not plagiarizing) and publishing. The book also has some great information about teaching the forms of writing - descriptive reports, scientific explanations, persuasive writing, and nonfiction narrative.

I am really looking forward to reading the book and learning to better my teaching of writing!


On a personal note: I am trying to keep active by walking every morning and by training using light weights 4 -5 times a week.

1 comment:

VW said...

Silee, I left a reply on my blog but you might not see it. I bet your siberian iris dropped a seed or two next to the original plant, and the seedling has white flowers instead of blue. Perhaps you can separate the two colors and enjoy the white one in another spot?